Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"Night of the Living Dead: Origins" Will Be Told Without Romero

You know, I'm really torn about this. According to Bloody Disgusting, a new NOTLD project is in the works, and I'm not talking about George Romero's 6th zombie opus, "Survival of the Dead." Apparently, an upcoming filmmaker named Zebediah De Soto is crafting an origin story for the NOTLD mythos without Romero's involvement or permission. According to BD "De Soto was a fan of the original 'Living Dead' and once … [he] realized the rights were in the public domain, zeroed in on that project."

While I love the zombiefied world Romero created, I have a hard time understanding and embracing the people who take advantage of the film's public domain status. Sure, it was fucking idiotic of Romero to have not done his research on how to establish a proper copyright for the film, but it is unequivocally still his work.

NOTLD is perhaps the greatest horror film ever made, so it makes an attractive target for budding filmmakers. However, I think that it would be more respectful to make a zombie movie sans the NOTLD name and perhaps even say something like "inspired by George Romero's NOLTD." I just think it's kinda stabbing him in the back. What do you think?


2 comments:

  1. If romero is giving his blessing im down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I feel the same. I'm just not sure that Romero has given his blessing, or is even aware of it at all. It'll be interesting to see if he makes any statements about the project.

    ReplyDelete